Follow the directions below for the activity on Rate of Perceived Exertion. Do this activity for your 4th day of your Health Station Experience. Remember, your purpose for learning Rate of Perceived Exertion is to understand that the intensity of the physical activity and your effort equal your rate of exertion. Was the activity Light, Easy, Moderate, Vigorous, or Hard on your body? Ideally, you would like your physical activity to be at moderate to vigorous intensity.
- Make a list of physical activities you enjoy. It can be anything from a soccer game to walking with your family at the park, or hiking on a trail.
- Pick one of the activities from your list and plan to do it. After doing the physical activity for 2 minutes recite The Pledge of Allegiance. Also, look for the reaction from your body to the activity and the signs mentioned in the chart above for your intensity level.
- Continue the activity for a couple more minutes and recite The Pledge of Allegiance again. Look for signs, again mentioned in the chart above.
- Where are you on the Rate of Perceived Exertion?
- If you are not at a level of Moderate to Vigorous, you might think of picking up the pace to increase intensity.
- If reciting it was not a problem- light
- If it was uncomfortable to recite- moderate
- If it was difficult to recite- vigorous
- If it was too hard to recite and had to stop- hard
Please click on this link to take you to Flipgrid. Record yourself telling me about the activity you did and what intensity level you felt was the activity. If it was not at Moderate to Vigorous, how could you change the activity to make it Moderate to Vigorous?
Watch the video below and match the 1-10 exertion number scale used in the video to the chart above. How is the number scale and the chart above similar?