Sport Technologists use different types of technology, like video, to help improve athletic performance. Video can be used to look at various mechanics, implement corrective practice, and fix mechanical issues to increase performance. Sport Technologist will also meet with athletes and coaches to share what they feel would be important to them.
You are a Sport Technologist for the San Diego Padres. Your task is to take video and make sure the newly drafted pitchers are using proper throwing mechanics. You will use your camera app on your computer to video help analyze their throwing mechanics.
TASK- The “Thinkers”
Complete the following steps to take on the role of a Sport Technologist.
- Find your camera app on your computer
- Seek out an area inside or outside to throw a ball or sock at a target about 20ft away.
- Set up the camera to record yourself from head to toe throwing the sock or ball. Make 3 throws at the target.
- Use the throwing cues check list document to compare it with how you move to throw the ball on the video.
- Make improvements to your throwing.
HINT: Use the pause button to stop at the different positions of the cues to give yourself feedback.
In your notebook, reflect on what you enjoy or do not enjoy about gathering and analyzing information to solve complex problems.
Below is the sequence of cues to follow in order to correctly overhand throw at a target. Click HERE to download throwing cues checklist document.
VIDEO: Sport Technologist